Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Boycotting boycotts











One of the most vile and hypocritical tentacles of the leftist anti-Israel movement is the attempt to boycott the cinema of the only country in the Middle East that allows full freedom of expression for all its people, Jews and Arabs included. Bless artists like film director Wim Wenders, who, in this Jerusalem Post interview, has the courage to tell it like it is.
'I'll boycott boycotts," said Wim Wenders at a press conference at the Sam Spiegel Film School in Jerusalem Monday. The iconoclastic master director, who is visiting Israel as part of the celebration of the school's 20th anniversary, had just been asked about his reaction to calls from fellow filmmakers for a boycott of Israeli movies. Wenders, who has made such modern classics as Wings of Desire (1988), Paris, Texas (1984) and The American Friend (1977), to name just a few, tends to go his own way.
"I've seen a lot of Israeli movies I've liked over the last few years," he said. "I can't think of a reason to boycott them."
Asked how he felt about Israel, Wenders said, "It's hard even to talk about Israel as if it's one thing. It has different facets. There's a lot going on here I don't agree with, especially in politics... But journalists and filmmakers I've met here, friends I've made, have given me a feeling for the place. It's an impossible place; an impossible political situation. I wish the gridlock it's in could be helped. I have too many friends here not to be concerned. It's one of the most complex places in the world, especially this city."

No comments:

 
Politics Blogs