Thursday, November 26, 2009

Talking tribe













In the Jewish tradition, holiday meals come with plenty of rituals-- prayers, blessings, songs, stories, etc. So what are Jews supposed to do on a secular holiday like Thanksgiving? Edmond Rodman at JTA has an idea: talk about your tribe.
Here’s my modest starter: On Thanksgiving, what do Jews have to be thankful for? We are thankful for our families, homes and health; maybe even a national health plan.
We are thankful for all that. But there’s more, isn’t there?
So, Jewish America, I am sitting at the Thanksgiving table with all of you, thanks for the invite, and the question’s been asked. Considering it’s my question, you would think that I could nail the answer.
I want to say as a Jew what I’m thankful for, but I can’t find the words.
Too personal a question? Maybe I’m just hungry.
Then I just blurt out, “Thank God I’m a Jew.”
Complete silence. Not everyone at the table is Jewishly involved, and I’ve taken what basically is a national nonsectarian meal and turned it into a Jewish conversation.
With no postmodern irony or sarcasm, I said it because I’m really thankful that’s who I am. Among the morning blessings, Jews say “praised is God who has made me a Jew."
So why can’t I say it at the Thanksgiving table?

 
Politics Blogs